We highly encourage all students to take private lessons from an instrumental specialist. Weekly one-on-one lessons should help your child develop quicker on their instrument and they will gain first hand knowledge about their instrument from an expert in the field. Students who study privately may have a higher chance of placing into Select Band, Honor Band, Hawaii Youth Symphony, and may have a greater chance of receiving college scholarships. An instrumental specialist focuses on assisting with reinforcing proper playing techniques and may provide the motivation for your child to excel on his/her instrument. Private lessons is not a requirement but we strongly encourage all students to consider this option.
If your child is interested, please observe the following requirements:
- Must show daily commitment towards practicing the assigned private lesson material for an hour each day.
- Must be committed for a minimum of six months.
- Student shall attend private lessons on a weekly basis at the private teachers’ venue. Instructors may teach at their residence, private studio, or at a school.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule lessons, please notify the private teacher at least twenty-four (24) hour in advance or as soon as possible.
- If you cancel or do not show up for lessons, as a courtesy you should still pay the lesson fee since the private teacher reserved a time slot for you.
- Please make timely payments. Teachers may collect weekly or monthly. Private teachers may charge around $20 to $30 per half hour session.
- Your child must show a genuine interest for studying privately. Please encourage but please do not force your child into this extracurricular activity.
You may want to inquire about the following information when calling the instructors:
- Lesson venue
- Schedule lesson time and day of availability
- Payment fee by week/month per session
- Half hour session or an a hour session per week
- Practice requirements
- Recommended instrument brand & model
- Recommended mouthpiece brand & model (mallets & sticks for percussion)
- Recommended reed brand & strength (woodwinds)
- Music books, supplies, and accessories
We really appreciate your vested interest in one of the most valuable assets for your child’s music education and our band program. If you are interested in taking private lessons, please ask Mr. Howe or Mr. Agasa for a hard copy of the PRIVATE LESSON BROCHURE.