to the MMS Band website!
Aloha and welcome to the Moanalua Middle School Band website. The Moanalua Middle School Band program offers a variety of ensembles that currently has an enrollment of 252 seventh and eighth graders in the 2018-19 school year. We offer two Beginning Band [periods 1 & 2] classes comprised of seventh and eighth graders. Incoming students who learned a band instrument during summer school are placed in the Intermediate Band [period 6] class. The Symphonic Band [period 5] consists mainly 8th grade band students and a few selected Intermediate Band students. Second year students who are interested in taking another music class may audition to perform in the Jazz Band [period 4]. The Moanalua Middle School Music Department also offers a Concert Orchestra ensemble that combines the strings and band instruments which meets once a week after school.
4 T Summer School Begins
17 M Band Booster Board Meeting (In and Out Dinner) @ MMS band room; 5:30 –
18 T Band & Orchestra Board Financial Meeting@ MMS band room; 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
28 F Beginning Band Concert @ MMS Cafeteria; 9:30 a.m.
28 F Intermediate Band Concert @ MMS Cafeteria; 7:00 p.m.
VIEW THE MMS BAND EVENT CALENDAR (CLICK HERE)
***Dates and/or events are subject to change***
R = Thursday; N = Sunday
Philosophy, Values and Benefits of the MMS band program:
- Students, parents, & teachers positively support each other through the MMS TRIBES AGREEMENTS (Mutual respect, appreciation, attentive listening, and right to pass).
- Develops strong musical fundamentals: rhythm, note reading literacy, and embouchure (mouth formation on mouthpiece).
- Use music as a medium to develop humanity: self-discipline, teamwork, character, responsibility, compassion, contributing member in our band and community.
- Every child is important and their individual roles are very significant to the success of our band program.
- Cultivates creativity.
- Improves communication.
- Creates and fosters leadership roles for the students.
- Appreciate, explore and create lifelong music learning outside of the classroom.