to the MMS Band website!
Aloha and welcome to the Moanalua Middle School Band website. The Moanalua Middle School Band program offers a variety of ensembles that currently has an enrollment of 224 seventh and eighth graders in the 2016-17 school year. We offer two Beginning Band [periods 1 & 2] classes comprised of seventh and eighth graders. Incoming students who learned a band instrument during summer school are placed in the Intermediate Band [period 6] class. The Symphonic Band [period 5] consists mainly 8th grade band students and a few selected Intermediate Band students. Second year students who are interested in taking another music class may audition to perform in the Jazz Band [period 4]. The Moanalua Middle School Music Department also offers a Concert Orchestra ensemble that combines the strings and band instruments which meets once a week after school.
Maturity | Unity | Selflessness | Integrity | Character
New Announcement: MMS Summer School - June 2-30, 2017
9 T Band Booster General Membership & Election of Officers Meeting @ MMS
band room; 5:30 p.m.
9 T Band Booster Board Meeting @ MMS band room; 5:45 – 6:45 p.m.
13 S Orchestra Aloha Concert @ Roosevelt High School Auditorium; 3:00 – 5:30
p.m. (Concert Orchestra)
13 S Band Aloha Concert & Symphonic Band @ Roosevelt High School
Auditorium; 7:00 – 9:30 p.m.
(Jazz, Beginning, Intermediate, Symphonic Bands periods 1, 2, 4, 5, 6)
Beginning Band Mandatory Dress Rehearsal; 8:30 - 9:30 am
Intermediate Band Mandatory Dress Rehearsal; 9:30 - 10:30 am
Symphonic Band Mandatory Dress Rehearsal; 10:45 - 11:45 am
Jazz Band Mandatory Sound Check: 6:00 pm
***Symphonic Band Picture Taking after the concert!
20 S Band & Orchestra Banquet @ Honolulu Country Club; 11:00 a.m. – 3:00
p.m. (Symphonic Band Period 5) $35.00
26 F Last day of school
VIEW THE MMS BAND EVENT CALENDAR (CLICK HERE)
***Dates and/or events are subject to change***
R = Thursday; N = Sunday
Period 1: Beginning Band - Click HERE to page.
Period 2: Beginning Band - Click HERE to page.
Period 4: Jazz Band - Click HERE to page.
Period 5: Symphonic Band - Click HERE to page.
Period 6: Intermediate Band - Click HERE to page.
After School: Concert Orchestra - Click HERE to page.
Summer School: Period 1 - Click HERE to page.
Summer School: Period 2 - Click HERE to page.
Join the MMS Band Boosters by August 31st and receive a free band t-shirt!
Philosophy, Values and Benefits of the MMS band program:
- Students, parents, & teachers positively support each other through the MMS TRIBES AGREEMENTS (Mutual respect, appreciation, attentive listening, and right to pass).
- Develops strong musical fundamentals: rhythm, note reading literacy, and embouchure (mouth formation on mouthpiece).
- Use music as a medium to develop humanity: self-discipline, teamwork, character, responsibility, compassion, contributing member in our band and community.
- Every child is important and their individual roles are very significant to the success of our band program.
- Cultivates creativity.
- Improves communication.
- Creates and fosters leadership roles for the students.
- Appreciate, explore and create lifelong music learning outside of the classroom.